Friday, March 28, 2014

7 Quick Takes - Vol. 9 – One Catholic, One Lawyer, and Mostly Mama!




Well, it’s sure been awhile since I’ve found the time to put together some quick takes.  Here goes.  Hopefully, I’m not too rusty!


CATHOLIC take:  Okay, I’m going to cheat a tiny bit to open this take.  I blogged earlier this week on
NFP and the struggles I’m having with determining whether it is an appropriate time in my life to be spacing (as opposed to conceiving), which completely coincidentally (or due to God?) was written and posted on the Solemnity of the Annunciation of the Lord where we celebrate Mary’s tremendous faith and openness to and acceptance of life and God’s will through her “yes”.  In any event, this subject is an ongoing tug-of-war in my head, so I’d love some feedback. 

Alternatively, check out the story of Sts. Castullus and Irene.  Their feast day was celebrated this past Wednesday, and their story is one of incredible courage.  No less inspirational than the stories of Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad or even Jan and Miep Gies in Germany during the Holocaust.
  

LAWYER take:  With the Hobby Lobby case hitting the Supreme Court this week (which also, “coincidentally”, happened on the Solemnity of the Annunciation of the Lord --- so much to take on faith from that day --- “[f]or nothing will be impossible with God”), there is much to talk about in the world of law.  Here’s a decent summary (albeit fairly legalistic) took place during oral argument. And
here is the president of our own USCCB, Archbishop Joseph Kurtz, putting it all in perspective.


MAMA take:  Okay, so I’m not going to lie.  I’m about to make all of the rest of my takes “mama takes”.  It’s been so long since I devoted some blog-time to my kiddos that I just can’t resist.


So, back around mid-February, my beautiful baby boy cut his first tooth, which he was very quickly put to good use!


He has now cut 4 more since then, which gives him a lovely toothy grin! 



Too bad that the teeth were probably the culprit for his endless ear infection that didn’t respond to Amoxicillin, Omnicef, Augmentin, and only temporary abated after a round of three Rocephin shots.  Ugh!  Last week, he had tubes put in his ears.  Here is the “before” when he was playing the xylophone in the waiting room.


I didn’t take an “after”.  Trust me, it was better that way.  It’s my second go-round with tubes (my preschooler had them inserted when he was 13 months), but I was still a nervous wreck.  First-time exposure to anesthesia (even just the gas that they used) just scares me.  On the plus side, the tubes drained a bunch of fluid and appear to be working (although it’s hard to know for sure since the baby never really showed very strong symptoms of the ear infections to start with).  Praying!


In other baby news, my little man is now crawling all fast and furious.  He took his first “crawls” on March 4 and has just continued to get stronger and faster since.  I now have three very mobile boys!  Yikes!

 

As to my preschooler and my two-year-old, they are both doing wonderfully.  My preschooler has been getting checkmarks in all of the boxes on his weekly report card for the last several weeks, which is a huge accomplishment for such a high-energy boy (hence, the absence of a checkmark in the “self-control” box until recently)!  My two-year-old is loving life per usual and has recently taken up singing in mass.  He loves it!  And I love it!!!  Melts my heart!  Such a win!

These two wonderful boys have also been the lucky recipients of two trips to Disney, courtesy of my parents and my sister-in-law.   


Can we say 'spoiled'?  :)

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I'm visiting from 7QT and have enjoyed reading your posts. Good to meet a fellow Catholic lawyer mama blogger. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lea! Welcome to the blog, and thanks for joining the party! Pleasure to meet another Catholic Lawyer Mama Blogger, especially one who also survived three under three!!! :)

      Delete